Facts and Statistics About Moving House
As most people already know from experience, moving from one property to another is generally considered one of the most complicated and anxiety-inducing processes the average adult will go through in life.
Depending on your outlook, knowing some interesting statistics about the whole process of moving might make you feel less stressed.
It sometimes helps to know what other people out there have experienced the same (or worse) situations. Of course, it also helps if you have the assistance of professionals with plenty of knowledge of the process, like ourselves at Cambridge Removals and Storage (but we’ll come back to that point).
In the process of moving house or about to start?
Here are a few statistics you might find particularly interesting if you’re currently in the process of moving, or you’re about to start.
• At any given time, a quarter of UK citizens are currently looking to move within in the next 12 months. For the 18-to-24 age group, the number rises to almost half.
• The number one reason people give for moving into a new place is having better access to practical amenities, shops and so on, with over a third of people citing this as a reason. Proximity to friends and family is a close second, while just under a quarter of people cite work as a reason for moving.
• Over the past two years, the number of property transactions (i.e. sales of homes) has averaged around 90,000 to 100,000 per month in the UK. In January 2017, the total nearly reached 105,000 which was the highest figure since March 2016.
• On average, people move house five times before they turn 30, and three more times later in life making a total of eight moves.
• The net cost of moving house is almost £9,000 on average, an increase of 25% in the last 10 years. Estate agent fees typically account for over a third of this.
Of course, despite the statistics and trends, every move is unique and usually feels just as stressful as the first time, even as we gain experience. Fortunately, you can still make the process a lot easier by contacting us to help with your removals and storage, so please feel free to get in touch and speak to our team about your plans.
Share this post…